I got asked a question the other day, ” Why does Cotton need to be Organic, if you are not eating it?”
Why Organic Cotton?
- Organic Cotton quality is way better quality than non-organic cotton.
- Organic Cotton feels a lot softer than non-organic cotton.
- Organic Cotton does not use GM seed.
- Organic Cotton is environmentally friendly.
- Organic Cotton is grown on land that is given at least 3 years to replenish itself in order to make sure the soil is free from toxins.
- Organic Cotton does not use toxic pesticides and synthetic fertilizers, which in turn is great for our environment and our farmers.
- Organic Cotton has a low impact on the environment.
- Non-organic cotton manufactures use hazardous toxic chemicals that are classified hazardous by the World Health Organisation (WHO). “SCARY!”
- Non-organic cotton has toxic chemical residues that can be absorbed and inhaled through the skin and can cause allergies, skin rashes or respiratory problems. “WHAT, CRAZY, I KNOW!”
So Organic Cotton should be our only option in my opinion. Whatever your reasoning, remember every little bit helps our farmers, our environment, and our future.
List of Organic Cotton Certifiers and more:
- Indian National Programme for Organic Production (NPOP)
- Japanese Agriculture Standard (JAS)