Original Ground is proud to have partnered up with the Lily Calvert Foundation helping fund Pediatric Palliative Care.
The Lily Calvert Foundation was established to honour the life of Lily Sujata Calvert, who passed away aged 10 and a half months of an incurable brain condition known as Miller Dieker Syndrome.
During her time on earth, Lily and her family received considerable support from paediatric palliative care providers. The aim of the foundation is to raise awareness around the importance of paediatric palliative care, and to support those who provide care in this area.
Despite major advances in our capacity to prevent and cure serious conditions of infancy and childhood, there remains a group of children for which cure is not possible. Often thought of as a service for the elderly, palliative care also provides for children.
It is an active and total approach to care, embracing physical, emotional, social and spiritual elements. It focuses on enhancement of quality of life for the child and support for the family and includes the management of distressing symptoms, provision of respite, and care through death and bereavement.
The following describe our aims and objectives:
- LCF seeks to raise awareness that Pediatric palliative care is about more than dying. It can include ongoing support for years and that it is about helping families make the very most of the time that they have.
- LCF runs on a grant basis. We raise money and using specific criteria determine which organisation and resources will be allocated with the fundamental aim to support children with terminal illnesses.
- We aim to grant funds raised locally to local institutions or organisations working in the space where practicable.
- We prioritise organisations that offer flexible arrangements including assisting in-home care should that be a family’s preference.
- We also seek to raise awareness around grief and child loss, to break down taboos and encourage conversations.
We look forward to honouring Lily’s memory by helping direct funds raised in Lily’s name to support institutions involved in children’s respite and palliative care.